“Orchard Supply Hardware is pleased to join a community that we expect will appreciate our extensive selection, excellent value, and top-notch customer service. The convenient neighborhood hardware store and nursery layout will make it easier than ever for residents of Yorba Linda, Placentia and surrounding communities to get in, get help, and get back to improving their homes and gardens,” said Mark Baker, Orchard President and CEO. “We pride ourselves on reusing and improving an existing building when possible, rather than building new, so we were pleased to make use of retail spaces that had been sitting vacant and turn them into a gorgeous new Orchard store.”
What: Grand opening celebration of the Yorba Linda Orchard Supply Hardware store.
Visuals: Customers line up before sunrise to be among the first 200 to get a $25 Orchard Gift Card and to be among the first to see the new store. VIEW 'SNEAK PEEK' PHOTOS OF STORE BEFORE GRAND OPENING: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sezvwvckkiu6ee1/u3hBYRi7ce
When: Saturday, May 4, 2013 @ 7 am (customers start lining up as early as 6 a.m.)
Where: Orchard Supply Hardware, 17506 Yorba Linda Blvd., Yorba Linda, CA 92886
Who (available for interviews at grand opening)
- Mark Baker, Orchard President and CEO
- Local elected officials and Yorba Linda Chamber of Commerce Executive Director
- Hundreds of early bird shoppers in line for $25 gift cards and bucket giveaway
- Richard Penticoff, Store Manager
- The store is 39,000 total square feet with 8,840 for the nursery.
- 90% of the staff live in the surrounding areas of Yorba Linda and Placentia.
- The store opening will feature customer giveaways, contests, and vendor demos.
- The definition of Yorba Linda is, “The Land of Gracious Living,” a fitting match for Orchard.
- The surrounding communities of the new store include million-dollar homes in the hills and thousands of ranch-style homes built during the postwar boom in the late 1950s and mid 1960s.
- The new store format Orchard is rolling out throughout California and into Oregon has made the store more appealing to female shoppers, who are expecting to make up the majority of Yorba Linda’s customer base.
Orchard Hires Garden Club Members
When Julie Horn retired from her healthcare career four years ago, she dove headlong into gardening, joining the California Garden Clubs, the Del Norte Garden Club (which covers Yorba Linda, Placentia, and Brea), the Orange County Chrysanthemum Society, and the Orange County chapter of the California Cactus and Succulent Society.
Now, she has joined the Orchard Yorba Linda nursery team. “Gardening, helping people select plants and learn how to grow them best is really my personal passion,” said Horn, 64, a Yorba Linda resident. She attends monthly Del Norte Garden Club meetings where guest speakers teach members about composting, growing healthy tomatoes, and much more. She grows and sells chrysanthemums at shows. And she helps cactus and succulent aficionados—a booming field of hobbyism—learn how to care for these highly drought-tolerant plants.
Julie and her colleague Claire Lunt—who lives on her street and is an active member of the Orange County Geranium Society—were among 500 applicants the Yorba Linda store management attracted at its hiring fair. Managers selected 90 employees—about 90 percent of them residents of Yorba Linda and Placentia—who are experts in their field—hardware, garden plants, paint, home improvement, housewares, repairs, and appliances.
About Orchard Supply Hardware
Orchard Supply Hardware Stores Corporation operates neighborhood hardware and garden stores focused on paint, repair and the backyard. The Company was founded as a purchasing cooperative in San Jose in 1931. Today the stores average 44,000 square feet of enclosed retail space and 8,000 square feet of exterior nursery and garden space. As of April 1, 2013, the Company had 89 stores in California. For more information, visit http://osh.com.